Being unemployed is difficult, as anyone who has experienced it understands. Going on multiple interviews, sending out resumes, networking with no results can be extremely frustrating; not to mention finances, too much time on your hands amongst many other negatives. I am currently unemployed so I thought I’d share 5 things that help me.
1. Realize its not your fault. This is a big one, most people blame themselves for getting let go and blame themselves for not finding a job fast enough. The truth is what happened in 2008 was such a deep financial calamity, I would call it the second Great Depression, it changed everything. The economy is the reason you aren’t working and the lack of GDP growth is why its so hard to find a job. While many new jobs have been created the last few months, the number of unemployed people has stayed the same. The number of long term unemployed has not been this high since the Great Depression. So, start by not blaming yourself for the situation you are in, give yourself a break.
2. Schedule your day. Time has a way of escaping us all so its best to schedule activities for the day so you get everything you want accomplished. Schedule a time to send out resumes, maybe 9:00 – 11:00 am. If you have errands, chores etc schedule a time for them too. With scheduling you will get more accomplished.
3. Make sure you leave the house every day. You can take a walk for a half hour, go to the store. Anywhere is fine, just make sure you are in different surroundings at least once per day. The best thing to do would be to leave the house to exercise, it will relieve some of your anxiety, stress, and in every way its good for you.
4. If you are a worrier and have lots of anxiety schedule that too. In other words, rather than being anxious, tense and nervous all day about your finances, if you will ever work again, etc schedule a time to worry. Say that from 4:00 – 5:00 pm you sit down and worry, writing it down is excellent. Take that time to think of every conceivable tragedy that could happen, let your mind run rampant. The goal is to contain your worrying to that one scheduled time; so if in the morning you wake up feeling anxious about money you can calmly remind yourself that you don’t need to worry about that now, you will worry about that later. This can lessen anxiety for the rest of the day.
5. Be good to yourself. Treat yourself to something you like doing. Whether its reading a book, taking a run, having a massage, anything that makes you feel good. Remind yourself this is not a fun situation to be in so you deserve a break even if its just telling yourself this sucks but I am dealing with it.