Its true the economy has been bad for 5 years now; the improvements seem unnoticeable, the unemployment and longterm unemployment rates are staggering and painful. Obama seems a bit distant, aloof and like he doesnt have a sense of urgency with job creation and the anxiety many Americans feel; the unemployed ones being anxious about never finding a job, the employed ones anxious about being laid off. Many say Obama had 4 years to fix this and he didn’t, so why am I now endorsing Obama? Many many reasons:
- What Obama walked into was a financial crisis, a housing crisis and a recession. Most recessions have played out in similar ways, downturn then upturn, or a V-shaped recovery. A financial crisis is an entirely different animal; in economic study after study the facts prove that recovery from a financial meltdown is very much what we are feeling right now. Its more L shaped; its a much longer road back to full employment than a normal recovery. The GOP would have you believe that Obama is to blame for the weak economy, that is not the case.
- The 2009 Stimulus plan Obama put in place kept the unemployment rate from going to 15% and staying there for years; this stimulus was essential for creating 5.2 million new jobs. The Auto bailout and bankruptcy has produced a thriving auto industry in America once again. I believe the liquidation of GM would have had far worse consequences on the American psyche than Lehman Brothers did. The problem with the stimulus is that it was too small, as most economists predicted at the time it should have been twice or 3 times the size. Obama could not get that passed because the GOP blocked him and many of the Dems were Blue Dog Dems that vote like GOP.
- Health Care ACA – Obama was the first president in history to pass a healthcare plan. We are the richest country on earth and should have healthcare for all. This bill might not be perfect but its time for the GOP to stop acting like spoiled children and to help work on the bill to make it better. Romney wants to repeal this bill and replace it with nothing. He said poor people can call an ambulance and go to the ER. This is not leadership.
- Surviving the scorched earth policy of the GOP. The GOP decided to stop Obama at all costs; even as the country was going towards another Great Depression the GOP was obstructing every bill, idea, proposal from the President. To me this is treasonous behavior and should be investigated and punished by jail time; anyone who votes against the best interests of this Country should be jailed. Even with all of this Obama was able to get things done.
- President Obama has sought equal rights for all, including endorsing same sex marriage and trying to end the discrimination gay people suffer through. He has appointed more diverse candidates to the Supreme Court; 2 women, one being Latino. Its of the utmost importance to have differing points of view on the court as the appointees will be there for decades.
- Militarily Obama has been brilliant. He reopened the hunt for bin Laden; took a huge risk in making the order to have boots on the ground to take bin Laden out. If this mission failed his presidency could have been ruined. He reset the war to focus on al Qaeda, chopped off its head and also took out many senior level members of the group across the globe. His use of drones has been extremely successful. He ended the Iraq war, he has set an end date for the war in Afghanistan. He has also brought honor back to the United States after Bush alienated so many of our allies. He has built coalitions and has the world behind us in working with Iran and many other issues.
- Economic growth is far better than it was. As we know he walked into office with 800,000 jobs being lost per month and a GDP falling at an astonishing rate 0f 9%; conditions like this not seen since the Great Depression. Since that time we have seen 44 consecutive months of job creation; we have not fallen back into recession, housing is coming back, manufacturing is coming back. Two prominent economists, one from Harvard the other from the IMF have stated that Obama has laid the ground work for a more robust economy over the next 4 years. It would be horrible to see Mitt Romney in the Oval taking credit for Obama’s work.
These are some of the reasons I think Obama deserves a second term, I encourage every American reading these words to vote for Obama on election day. Also, dont forget to vote Blue for Senate and House.