There is so much disfunction in Washington I don’t even know where to begin. To be honest the entire situation has had me so disgusted that I haven’t even commented on it in a while. Let me just start, these are not in any particular order, and I hope I don’t forget any:
- The tea party crybabies shut the government down because they don’t like the Affordable Care Act ACA or as they like to call it ObamaCare. This will sound like a broken record but ACA is the law of the land, the SCOTUS deemed it constitutional, and the 2012 election had Mitt Romney claiming he would repeal the law. Romney lost. The temper tantrum throwing House held 43 votes to repeal ACA. The amount of time and money wasted having these votes should be criminal. Instead, why not open the law and make adjustments to it, make the law better, correct aspects of the law that need correcting? But no, the tea party doesn’t have the Country’s best interest in mind, they have their own interests and careers in mind. So, they close down the government, cause many people who live pay check to pay check to do with out food or other primary needs, they add $24B to the debt. This is an embarrassment for our Country on the World’s stage. The tea party has lost credibility of American government. All for nothing, but Ted Cruz being a rising star in the Flat Earth Society.
- Where is President Obama? Is he around? He makes a red line with Syria; doesn’t have the courage to go it alone so brings in Congress. Then out of the blue Putin comes in and saves the day. Yes, removing all WMD from Syria is a better outcome then a strike would have been, but this episode doesn’t make Obama look like he is in charge, that this was his idea. It makes him look like a bystander. Iran is making gestures. Do we trust them? Of course not. Now Syria dismantled and destroyed its chemical weapons extremely quickly. Why isn’t Obama calling the Iranian’s bluff and saying we will reduce some sanctions after a full inspection of Iran; oh and by the way that must be this Wednesday. Obama seems to be dragging his feet, not explaining what his strategy is. Does he have a strategy for the middle east? I do not see Mr. Obama as a Leader who is in charge. I don’t see it.
- ACA roll out, WTF?? This was completely unnecessary and shouldn’t have happened. It gives all the crybabies a chance to reopen ACA as being a debacle. One is a website one is an entire new healthcare system. Not a valid comparison. Also we recently found out that Obama repeatedly lied to the Country about keeping their healthcare. What has happened is that subpar plans are being discontinued and replaced with better coverage with mostly lower costs. Can the Obama administration communicate anything? Why weren’t people told about this in August? This is good news.
- Cutting Food Stamps? We have an unemployment crisis, the lowest workforce participation in 40 years; the job growth situation is worse now than after the Great Depression, and now is the time they decide to cut food stamps? No one in America should ever go hungry, we are the richest country on earth. Cutting help to those that need it most is despicable. Also this is a bad economic decision. Food stamps are spent, they put money back in the economy. This will have the effect of slowing the economy even more. The current GOP platform is make sure poor people don’t have healthcare or food. Words can’t even describe how enraged I am about this.
- What makes anyone think the debt talks in 4 weeks will go any better? All of this uncertainty around the Holidays. Uncertainty makes people not spend money. This is the worst possible time to be going through this. Most stores earn their entire years profit from Thanksgiving until New Years.
- What to do about all of this mess? As I have said many times, have the DOJ investigate the tea party people’s votes and their effect on the economy. We need a complete government overhaul. We need the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (or something similar) to focus on the United States government. Get rid of the corruption, lobbyists, gerrymandering, electoral college — we need a make over!