Looking around at what’s going on in the presidential race makes me embarrassed to be an American citizen. What we have going on here is not a democracy, far far from it. Everything must change if we ever want a government that is ‘for the people and by the people.’
If you have read this blog over the years some of what I am about to say might sound familiar. But, it is imperative that it be heard again.
I don’t even know where to start, being that everything is such a mess. From a media that doesn’t focus on facts, but instead focuses on sensationalism and ratings; to a rigged format of unqualified people narrowing down the presidential candidates; to a completely fact free group of candidates that no one questions.
Let’s start with one of the things that irritates me the most: the order of the primary states. Not only are the people of NH and Iowa not representative of the country they also allow years of pandering by potential candidates. The primary states schedule should be released at the first day of the election year. They can be chosen at random, lottery style, anyway that sounds good.
Time to end the grip of New Hampshire and Iowa, they have no business being the first threshold candidates go through. This would also make potential candidates speak to the entire country, not just these 2 sates.
The caucuses need to go, period. It’s archaic and makes no sense. Vote in primaries.
The electoral college needs to go also. This is not the way to choose a president. It should be chosen by the majority of Americans. No more kissing up to Ohio, Florida, and the other swing states. Let the majority decide as would be expected in a democracy.
Mid term elections must be ended. The day a person starts work in the House they need to start raising money for their reelection, a mere 2 years later. Our congress people should be there working for us, not fundraising.
Here’s how this would happen; House seats would change from 2 to 4 years. Senate seats would change to either 4 or 8 years. This way more people will vote which will mean more people will be represented.
Voter turn out is an embarrassing disaster. My way of fixing it is not by shaming the non voters it’s be making voting easier. I have been saying this for years. Voting should be done by mail with the government sending a receipt to each voter confirming their vote. We would have so many more people voting if people were offered this convenience. Voter fraud would be off the table because people’s ballots would be sent to their registered addresses. The ‘Get Out to Vote’ effort can change to ‘Learn what they say and who you agree with.’ I would also add that postage return be paid for.This will allow for people who can’t afford the postage won’t have an issue.
There is so much more that needs immediate changing:
- All money must be taken out of politics; the government should give an allotted amount to each candidate and that’s what they can spend. Period.
- Senate seats must be changed from 2 per state to a per capita system. If CA has 4 times as many people as Iowa, CA should have 4 times as many people in the Senate.
- There must be some kind of reform on congress. If they refuse to do their jobs and or refuse to show up for work they should not be paid a salary, benefits and pension by the American tax payer.
- I’d propose a war tax, as we had for every war before Iraq. Our country will be much less likely to go to war if everyone had skin in the game.
- Taxes must change. Companies must no longer be able to hide their money overseas to avoid paying taxes. We do have one of the highest business tax rates in the world, but no companies pay them. Time for them to pay up. High income earners must also pay more in taxes. Our government is bankrupt, it needs an infusion of money so we can regain our leadership in the world.
In summation, we do not live in a democracy and that needs to change. We must make big changes in order to survive in the world. Everything I have just said needs to be considered, and in my mind implemented.
Smart, common sense solutions will make us prosper. Going down the same road we have been will make us the fallen empire.